Saturday, July 18, 2009

Moving Website hosting

So hosting is really important to me as I run an internet services business, but I am not willing to pay the rediculous prices on local South African Hosting. So I am looking for reasonably priced, good hosting.

I first came up with www.webhostgiant.com and their service was good, but for one thing; their servers are in California. It adds a latency of about 50 to 70 milliseconds, which seems like nothing when you are in any case expecting latencies in the region of 300ms, and latency on domestic hosting is somewhere from 50 to 100ms.

What did i find? www.sharkspace.com my testing on their latency gave me better figures than Google.com, when I tested their Washington DC server, and the folks there kindly moved my hosting from the TX servers to the DC servers. They are not as cheap as webhostinggiant, but support is awesome, and I am happy with my site's responsiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment